Poison Ivy and Oak Rash Treatment in Simpsonville, SC
AFC Urgent Care Center located at 3930 Grandview Dr Suite C Simpsonville, SC 29680 is open Mon – Fri 8am – 8pm and Sat – Sun 8am – 5pm with doctors who treat poison ivy and oak rash with no appointment necessary. Walk-in or call (864) 474-5082.
Poison Ivy & Other Plants to Avoid This Summer
Unsure if a rash has been the result of contact with a poisonous ivy or oak plant? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Simpsonville today for a thorough examination by one of our board-certified doctors. No appointment is needed and we’ll diagnosis and treat your rash, no matter the cause. You can also learn more about how to protect your family from dangerous outdoor plants.
Taking a walk in nature during the summer months is an activity that we all enjoy. Despite how nice it may look out there, you should keep in mind there are certain poisonous plants out there that could ruin weeks of your summer. If you believe you’ve come in contact with one of these plants, swing by AFC Urgent Care Simpsonville today and be seen by one of our board certified doctors. No appointment is ever needed so visit our medical clinic when it is convenient for you.
There are a variety of poisonous plants out there, but the big three are poison oak, poison sumac, and the most common: poison ivy. All three of these plants have similar chemicals that can cause rashes when you come in contact with them. Urushiol is the scientific name to the substance that has ruined many vacations by causing rashes. It’s important to remember that this is not a bactirum. You cannot spread a rash once the substance has been washed off. But until that happens, you can spread the irritant to other objects and other parts of your body, spreading the rash. Most people don’t realize how often they touch their face throughout the day or other objects. This random touching can cause your rash to become more widespread or spread it to others.
The Big Three
Poison ivy is found throughout North America except for Hawaii and Alaska. You will not find it in exceptionally dry climates like deserts. You can however find it in rural or urban areas as a vine or a shrub growing close to the ground.
The jagged leaves of this plant grow in groups of three. “Leaves of three, leave them be” is a good way to remember to avoid poison ivy. This plant can have light colored berries or small flowers.
Poison oak can be identified by its smooth and curved leaves. A leaf of a poison oak plant looks comparable to regular oak leaves. This similarity is where poison oak gets its name.
Poison sumac is considered to be the most difficult to recognize of these three plants. To the inexperienced eye, poison sumac looks just like a shrub or small tree. These plants are found generally in very wet areas, such as riverbanks or swamps. Compared to poison ivy and poison oak, this plant can inflict a much more severe rash.
If you come in contact with any of these plants, you risk developing a rash. It can become severe enough to develop additional symptoms. These include blisters, swelling, and fever. In some cases, people can develop a dangerous anaphylactic reaction and be forced to seek immediate medical care. If you are a construction worker, farmer, groundskeeper, or hike on a regular basis, you are at high risk of coming across one of these plants. Any person who works outside touching plants or handling the cut remains of plants is at risk for coming in contact with a poisonous plant.
While developing a rash is very annoying, most people shouldn’t panic when it happens. It will in most cases heal itself in about one to three weeks on it’s own or with the help of over the counter treatments. There are several anti-itch products out there that can reduce the irritation this rash causes. As long as you have removed the oil from the plants from your skin or clothes, the rash cannot spread. Those whose rash lingers for longer than three weeks often visit a doctor to receive a prescription for topical steroids to help them finally recover.
If you are working outside, wear protective clothing and avoid plants you don’t recognize. Most experts believe if you follow these two tips, you’ll reduce the risk of coming in contact with poisonous plants. Are these plants growing at your home or place of business? Use pesticides to kill these plants. Avoid pulling them up with your hands and absolutely DO NOT BURN them. Burning can cause the urushiol particles to become airborne, making the air very dangerous to breath. A poison ivy rash in your throat or lungs can be life threatening.
Unsure if a rash has been the result of contact with a poisonous plant? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Simponville today for a thorough examination by one of our board-certified doctors. No appointment is needed and we’ll diagnosis and treat your rash, no matter the cause. You can also learn more about how to protect your family from dangerous outdoor plants.
Formerly AFC Doctors Express